Friday, June 7, 2013

Each day I'll do a golden deed



Each day I'll do a golden deed by helping those who are in need.  My life on earth is but a span and so I'll do the best I can.


I grew up singing this song, loving the way our voices blend as we sang it.  One Sunday as we were singing "A Beautiful Life" the realization hit me that that would be the perfect title for my ministry.  This is not going to be a large global relief effort. I don't plan to travel abroad on mission trips most of my mission efforts will be concentrated in Texas and surrounding states.  (Unless the Lord has other plans)

In the past few years our church has adopted a small community in our county that has many needy families. Our goal with this effort has always been to show the love of Christ to others.  We have delivered beds and bedding, and food to families in need.  We have organized a week long Camp/VBS Camp Hope.  During Camp Hope I was in charge of the dinner each evening along with my friend Pam.

My husband and I have organized bottle water drives, benefit volunteer fire fighters battling wild fires in Palo Pinto County.

A few years ago I helped coordinate the effort to help a kidnapping victim re build her life. You can read about that here.  http://nowmagazines.com/onlineeditions/editions/1011weatherford.pdf

Recently I have volunteered in West Texas helping sort clothing and donated items after the fertilizer plant explosion, devastated that small town.  It is hard but rewarding work.

If I could afford to miss work I would be in Moore Oklahoma volunteering to help in the clean up efforts following the tornado.

Hmmm… maybe this blog should have been I want to be a worker for the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment